Monday, October 5, 2009

50 Million Sold

Last Saturday I went to a potluck dinner after the local Solar Tour. The subject that I import and sell scythes came up, and two of the people there said that they had heard of me, but didn't know how find me, so they just ordered from Scythe Supply and the Marugg Company.

So, local people can't figure out how to find me, and therefore order lesser quality scythes from Maine and Tennessee. I too ship scythes all over the USA. In the past 3 weeks, I've sent scythes to Vermont, New York, South Carolina, Texas, and even Australia. So some people are indeed able to find me. When I survey those people on how they found me, they say they searched around on Google for a while. The key seems to be to search "for a while". In a Google search of just the word "scythe", I appear on page 12, which is apparently what a lot of people do. Right away, they find Scythe Supply and Scythe Connection and order from them. Type in a second word like Austrian, or mowing, or Wisconsin or blade, and I also appear on page 1, but that's not what most people do. To appear higher on the one word search, apparently it helps to have the first word of your scythe business name be "scythe"!

My scythe business has outgrown my old-fashioned Mystic Prairie website. To plan ahead for the "50 million scythes" that this country is going to need after Peak Oil, I've decided to start a new website just for my scythe business. Even though I would prefer to continue calling it the Mystic Prairie Scythe Shop, most people searching on Google wouldn't be able to find me. So I need a new name. Ideally one that, of course, start's with the word "scythe". I have some ideas, but I'm also open to suggestions. This blog can do polls, so I'm going to try it out and take a survey of what name people would prefer my new website to be called. Please participate in the poll, and also let me know if you have any other name suggestions.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Botan,

    Thanks for entering blogdom. I know you have a lot to say, as do I, and the world is eager to hear you. I will make a note over on my site and will post your info over there. It's a grass roots movement, you know.

    You and I are ahead of the wave that is going to be pushing our country soon enough. Hand tools are back, and new users are coming into the fold every day.

    Keep in touch, my friend, and let me know when you need a broadfork. I got some beautiful extra long handles for you when I was down at my handleman's place last time.

    Goodluck and good soil to you,

    Gulland
    Black Earth, Wisconsin

    ReplyDelete
  2. So where can I find your scythes? I want to order one for my daughter

    ReplyDelete